Friday 28 October 2016

Ponders of the Bee

Buzz buzz... Hello there! How has your week been? I'm glad to say that I'm grateful that this week was a bit relaxing than usual. Well anyway, this might be my last blog entry for The Secret Life Of Bees (cries a river T_T hahahaha). So I thought of giving a brief summary and reflection on the novel :)

To be honest, I started reading the novel a bit late than my classmates but I still managed to finish reading it! And I don't regret it AT ALL! What I like most about the novel is the beauty of the writing style. I think Sue Monk Kidd did a very great job in portraying her messages in the novel. The language that she used plus the analogies (the connection between bees and Lily's life) is what makes the novel special to me. Like I didn't expect the storyline to be as such by looking at the title of the novel. So I guess the indirectness in the novel that she used is what caught my attention the most.



Besides, through this novel I've learnt A LOT of new stuff, For instance, how bees work, how life was when there was discrimination towards the blacks, and also about the religion that the Boatwright sisters practiced. I guess that I also empathised the troubles that Lily faced throughout her life yet I admire her courage and spirit. Lily is such a driven and strong girl and I think she's my favourite character besides August (I don't know which one to pick so I'll just choose both hehe). And I could also imagine the pain that the blacks felt being discriminated for how they were born. It's just so sad!

However, I don't really like the way Lily dealt with herself after knowing the truth about her mother and all that. Well, I don't think it's fair for her to judge her mother in such a harsh way. And also I disliked T-Ray from the start of the novel for being such a mean father. However, I think that those were what gave a greater impact on the novel hehe.

So guys, what are you waiting for? Go give this novel a read as I totally recommend it for you! (I'm rating it 5 stars!!!).  I hope that my reflection would somehow make you want to read it even more. I guess after this I'm going to watch the movie - despite Aminin always complaining about it haha. So, I hope that you'll have a great weekend. Till we meet again! (or not :p)

No comments:

Post a Comment